For my devotions, this morning, I decided to meditate on the Psalm for the Sabbath (since it is Sabbath today) and I couldn’t get past the first phrase:
“It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord” Psalm 92:1
In the midst of thanking God for one thing, I found myself complaining about how that thing was nice but inadequate. A good friend once called me an ingrate (faithful are the wounds of a friend!)…and for the first time today I understood what she was referring to all those years ago.
So, in honor of my 32nd birthday this past week and to battle the spirit of ungratefulness I didn’t even realize I had, here are 32 things I’m thankful for today – in no particular order (for the most part) and without the murmurer’s qualifications (that’s the hard part for me!). I’m thankful for:
1. God’s faithfulness to me – He’s just always been there for me whenever I turn to Him!
2. God’s forgiveness – He never drags up the past to make me feel bad about it.
3. God’s patience with me – Case in point is how long it took me to realize I even had a problem with gratitude!
4. God’s provision – I’ve never gone a day in my life without at least one meal, except by choice.
5. A place to call home – I have a fully and beautifully furnished apartment that I couldn’t have afforded to furnish as such.
6. My landfolk – They go beyond the call of duty and look out for my wellbeing.
7. A wardrobe full of clothes – Which means I have more clothes than I need.
8. My seminary education – which is teaching me more than the course material.
9. Two student jobs – without which I could not meet my expenses.
10. Awesome co-workers – Going into work is never an unpleasant experience.
11. Bosses who pray with me- they care about my spiritual welfare too!
12. Friends who pray for me – Some days, I know I’m surviving on their prayers.
13. Friends who encourage me- and remind you to focus on Christ.
14. The Bible.
15. Friends who give me the opportunity to love selflessly.
16. My fiancé – He’s an unexpected blessing in so many ways (just don’t want him to dominate this list, haha. I’ll elaborate in my personal journal on this one!).
18. Victory over sin – God has given me so many victories during the lifespan of our relationship! Praise His name!
19. Warmer weather! – It means I can start my outdoor running now!
20. My church family – They have come through for me so many times over the past two years
21. Music – It’s just therapeutic, you know.
22. Nature – It’s therapeutic too!
23. Sleep – Restful sleep. No nightmares. Just sweet, sweet sleep. That’s therapeutic too, hehe.
24. My plants – that have survived with less sunshine than optimal in my basement apartment.
25. Controversy – It teaches me to be firm to principle.
26. Good health
27. A fast metabolism – I know it won’t always be like this so I’m thankful for it now
28. Another year of life
29. A car
30. Technology – that allows me stay in touch with my family who are so far away
31. Opportunities for ministry – God has given me the privilege to testify of His goodness before thousands
32. The Sabbath